SC upholds death for Yakub Memon, Sanjay Dutt's conviction
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today upheld the death sentence of Yakub Abdul Razak Memon in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case and commuted the death sentence of 10 others. The apex court also upheld the conviction of Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt under the Arms Act in the terror attack and sent him to five years in prison.
While confirming the death sentence of Yakub Memon, the bench of Justices P Sathasivam and BS Chauhan said he and other members of the Memon family had played a predominant role in the execution of the conspiracy that led to 13 serial bomb blasts in Mumbai on March 12, 1993, claiming 257 lives and leaving 713 injured. While commuting the death sentence of the 10 other convicts to life imprisonment, the court said that they were mere subservients in the execution of the conspiracy.
The humble and underprivileged background of these 10 accused, who were mere instruments in the hands of "principal perpetrators", were counted as mitigating circumstances by the court. The court said that if Memons were the archers of the conspiracy these 10 were just arrows. The judges also slammed Pakistan for aiding and abetting the acts of terrorism in infringement of international obligation as a member of United Nations.
Dutt was asked to surrender in four weeks. The actor, who was convicted under the Arms Act for illegally possessing weapons, had been awarded six years imprisonment by the TADA (Terrorists and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act) court.
Bangladeshi academician Mohammed Abdul Mannan has said that the war crime trials are a blow to the ideology of the country's biggest Islamist party, the Jamaat-e-Islami.
Date 23 hrs ago, Duration 2:04, Views 49