Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:49:37 GMT

Delhi gangrape: 3 arrested; case solved, say cops

New Delhi: With the arrest of three members of a criminal gang from Haryana's Mewat district, the Delhi Police today claimed to have solved last month's case of abduction and rape of a Mizo BPO employee which sparked a public outrage and raised questions again over the safety of women in the city.


Police arrest two in Delhi gangrape case

Activists protest against lack of security for women in Delhi.

Commissioner of Police B K Gupta said two people were arrested in a raid by a team of over 300 police personnel from Mewat after they zeroed in on the gang following thorough investigations.

Out of the five men allegedly involved in the crime, two -- Shamshad and Usman -- were arrested last night, and a third -- Shahid -- gave himself up today in Faridabad. But two others -- Kangru and Iqbal -- are still at large, he said.

Gupta told a press conference that a team consisting of 15 officers of DCP and Inspector-level rank, and 300 police personnel was constituted to probe the case and nail the culprits. The team was led by Joint Commissioner (Southern Range) Amulya Patnayak and Deputy Commissioner of Police South H S Dhaliwal.

Gupta said the victim, who fully cooperated with the police, had told them some peculiar characteristics of the vehicle in which she was abducted and this helped them trace it. "It was a totally blind case. The culprits had left no clue, even their vehicle bore no number. Zeroing in on the main suspects was, therefore, a herculean task," Gupta said.

He said Dhaliwal had not shared all the information with the media during the investigation as that would have helped the culprits. Dhaliwal said the crime was committed on the "spur of the moment". He said the culprits who were on the move saw the victims in their office cab after which they chased them to their place of drop.

"When they saw the two women walking towards their apartment, they abducted one while the other managed to escape," he said. The incident had occurred at 1.10 am on November 24. The victim was abducted by the culprits while she was walking towards her rented accommodation in Moti village near Dhaula Kuan along with her colleague after being dropped by their office cab from their workplace in Gurgaon.

The commissioner said they had decided to trail the BPO cars to see whether they are dropping the girls right up to their destinations. He said they are also discussing legal provisions in this regard. The investigation involved checking nearly 6,000 vehicles and scanning the entire Mongolpuri area, where the gangrape was committed, to scour for suspects.

He said the main accused in the case was also arrested in connection with a gangrape in 2007 in Faridabad along with his uncle and brother.

Source: Agencies

MSN Mobile News

get connected

Follow.Share.ConnectTwitterRSSMobile

news videos

more news videos